Monday, April 23, 2012

Firsts

Exactly a week ago, Joy had her first vet visit! She was very well behaved and never made a peep. Not even when she had the dreaded "thermometer experience". Joy got one shot, and she wriggled a little when that happened. But as soon as it was over, she was all smiles again. I gave her a treat for being such a good girl. :)


After that, we went up to Jacksonville for Joy's first visit (out of what is going to be MANY) to the Avenues Mall. Our Obedience Training takes place in the mall's parking lot, so we arrive early and just walk around and usually grab a bite to eat in the food court. As usual, Joy was very well behaved. When we sat down to eat our sub, she just fell right asleep underneath our table. Getting up, however, was tough because Joy was very sleepy (possibly from the shot?) and every time I stood her up to walk, she just slid her eyes shut and sank back to the ground again. Apparently, the neighboring tables found this hilarious. I didn't. I finally got her to stand up and we continued around the mall until it was time for Obedience!


For a little puppy, I think she did fairly well. At first, she busied out in the grass. By this time, a couple of Joy's brothers had arrived and she was very anxious to pounce a dog that would actually reciprocate (Our Yorkie, Figaro just growls and flees). When we actually started to work, Joy did pretty well with the distractions and with 'sit'. 'Down' is something we definitely have to work on.

Joy will stay asleep under my keyboard even if I turn the volume up all the way and play an obnoxiously loud and fast song. But I mostly play the lullaby I wrote for her :)

Yesterday, we had a couple more firsts, first trip into St. Augustine and first trip to a very nice sit-down restaurant. We were coming from Church (which she slept through) with a quick stop at home to feed her lunch. I made reservations in the car for the Columbia restaurant near St. George St. in downtown St. Aug. If you have never been there, you should! They have an amazing salad that they're famous for and a bread that's so good, my mom and I have said that if we don't eat anything for the rest of our lives but that bread, we'd be fine. Seriously, it's incredible. Especially when it's hot out of the oven and the crust is all crispy, but the insides are all soft and you spread butter on it and it melts immediately...

Sorry. I have got to stop thinking about that bread.

Anyway...Joy was really well behaved in the restaurant. She never begs for people food so she just fell asleep promptly and stayed asleep as we ate our whole meal. No one even noticed she was there, which made me very happy! As we got up, (correction: as I forced  Joy to wake up and get up) I started hearing the chorus of, "Oh my gosh! It's a puppy!" "Look mom, there's a puppy under there!" "Awwww, he's so cute!"
I also heard from one parent, "Don't touch it! Insert name here- don't touch it!!!" To which insert name here quite angrily responded, "I'M NOT GONNA TOUCH IT, MOM!!!" Apparently, this kid has a history of dog-harrassment. 


As I am typing, Joy just snored underneath my chair. She snores loudly for a little puppy! Not that she's all that little, last week the vet tech told us she weighed 16.4 pounds! 4 pounds more than when we first got her. Right now, she weighs 18!

Posing in front of a fountain in the historic district of St. Augustine.

Well, the rest of the trip was great, Joy was very welcome in the the restaurant. Tonight we have another Obedience Class. I'm looking forward to it! I'll write back later.

Peace, Love, Joy :)

2 comments:

  1. Joy is so cute! I'm a 1st time raiser for Canine Companions for Independence, and I'm so glad that I found your blog!
    Hannah and Dante

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hannah! Thanks so much for reading, I love your blog! Dante is absolutely adorable :) By the way, I'm homeschooled too!

    ReplyDelete