Tuesday, May 8, 2012

5 Things

5 Things I Do Not Love Hearing/Annoying Things That People Say (About Joy):

1. Come here puppy! (Oh my gosh, seriously? You're going to call over someone else's dog? A dog that's wearing a cape that says "Guide Dog In Training"?!)

2. Sit! Good dog! (Okay, apparently you *are* going to call my dog. And you're going to tell her to sit. Awesome.)

3. I'm gonna train MY dog to be a guide dog so I can take it everywhere too! (Really people? Reeaally?)

4. What a cute boy! (She's wearing a pink, flowered, matching collar and leash. Think it through guys.)

And the thing that I hate hearing most:

5. But isn't it going to be really hard to turn her in?

Yes, people, I do realize that it is going to be difficult. If it isn't, then I didn't do a good enough job. That's why I TRY TO AVOID THINKING ABOUT IT! Seriously, anytime even a notion of IFT day pops into my head I immediately start thinking about something else. That doesn't always work so I try humming an obnoxiously catchy song. Like "It's a Small World". (Dang it, now it's stuck in my head again.)

Aaaanyway, I'm not really sure why everyone is so intent on reminding me of the day when I have to give up my sweet Joy. The worst part is when I say, "No, I'll be fine" in an effort to leave or start talking about something else. But NO. Then they say, "Oh, you will not be fine! You'll be devastated!" Thank you very much for reminding me of my pain.

My intentions for this post were not at all to be whiny! Although, it's starting to come across that way.....So here are 5 things (out of many!) that I absolutely love to hear people say.

5 Things I Love To Hear People Say About Joy (or Guide Dogs):

1. No, you can't pet it, that dog is working.

2. That is the cutest dog I have ever seen in my life.

3. (Parents to kids) See that dog? One day, that dog is going to help someone see.

4. I wish my dog were that quiet.

5. When people ask what she is in training for and I say, "The ultimate goal is to be a Guide Dog for the blind, but there are other programs for her if she doesn't make it," and they say, "No, that dog is going to make it." 

Joy has started getting into her crate at night by herself when she's ready to sleep, so cute!

Or when she just feels like a little nap, like she did a little while ago...





But still, one of her favorite places to sleep is in my arms :)


Peace, Love, Joy :)

2 comments:

  1. Totally relate! The biggest thing I can't stand is when people try to give him commands. Ugh! He is not your dog, nor do you even know what commands he knows, so please let ME tell him what to do... I have even had people take hold of his leash, REALLY people?!?!

    LOVE in that last picture how you can see her paw on your shoulder like she is hugging you :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is a problem all puppy raisers must endure! Taking hold of Dante's leash?! The nerve of some people :/

      And yes, I love the way she hugs me when I hold her! Haha you can't tell from the picture but she also wraps her legs around my waist! :)

      Delete